Arrivas House


Arrivas House



46 St. George Street
St. Augustine, FL 32084






View Website

Constructed in c.1740, this house was the residence of Paul Arnau, the St. Augustine Collector of Customs and Superintendent of Lighthouses. In January 1861, Confederate authorities ordered the St. Augustine Lighthouse to be darkened. Arnau oversaw its darkening, and the later removal of its lighting apparatus. Arnau also ordered that the lighting apparatus at the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse be removed, and is believed to have organized the group that, in August 1861, removed the lenses and machinery from the Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and wrecked the lighting mechanism on the Cape Florida Lighthouse. Elected mayor of St. Augustine in November 1861, Arnau resigned that post in March 1862 rather than surrender the city to the Union navy. After the Union occupation of the city, Arnau was arrested and taken aboard the USS Isaac Smith. He was released after lighting mechanisms from the St. Augustine and Cape Canaveral Lighthouses, as well as other lighthouse equipment which he had stored at his house, were returned to the Union navy.