Cape St. George Lighthouse


Keeper's Corner inside Cape St. George Lighthouse



St. George Lighthouse Park, 201 East Gulf Beach Drive
St. George Island, FL 32328






View Website

Completed in 1852 to replace the earlier 1848 lighthouse destroyed during a hurricane in 1851, the lighthouse was located at the southern tip of what is now Little St. George Island. At the beginning of the Civil War, Confederate authorities ordered the lighthouse darkened and in July 1861 arranged for the removal of the lighthouse lens for safekeeping. The lens and other equipment were taken to Apalachicola and then moved further inland to prevent its capture by Union forces. In December 1861, the USS Hatteras, on duty with the Gulf Blockading Squadron, landed a shore party at the lighthouse and found it abandoned. They used the lighthouse to observe Confederate shipping at Apalachicola, and Union sailors periodically returned for this purpose during the course of the war. The lighthouse remained unlit until after the war when it was returned to service in August 1865. In 2005, shore erosion caused the lighthouse to collapse into the Gulf of Mexico. Using salvaged material from the collapsed lighthouse, the Cape St. George Lighthouse was reconstructed in the county park on St. George Island and reopened for public visitation in 2008. Reconstruction of the Keeper’s Quarters for use as the lighthouse museum was completed in 2010.